The easiest, creamiest mushrooms you will ever have!
Mushroom sauce is such a versatile sauce, this quick and easy creamy mushroom sauce recipe can be served with just about anything. Pour it over chicken, it is perfect with steak, if you are vegetarian use this delicious sauce over baked potatoes or toss it through pasta.
It’s very simple to make with just a handful of ingredients and tastes simply divine, you have to make it to believe it!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for the mushroom sauce
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 cloves of garlic
- half diced onion or 1 shallot
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 300g swiss brown mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp dry white wine (vegetable stock or chicken stock can be used as a substitute)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander or parsley
- 1 tbsp Thyme (fresh or dried)
- 400ml double cream or full fat cream
- Heat the butter in a saucepan, pour olive oil on top ( olive oil is to stops the butter from burning ) over medium high heat
- Once the butter is melted, add chopped garlic along with the onion, give it a good stir and let them cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms and let them cook for about 6 – 7 minutes, stir them frequently ( it is normal for the mushrooms to look dry initially but they will soon start to release moisture )
- Cook until the mushrooms are golden brown and reduce in size
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add white wine, it should start to sizzle! this will cook the alcohol out of it deglaze the pan – let this cook for about 1 minute.
- Season the sauce with thyme and coriander ( or parsley )
- Pour in the double cream ( full fat cream )
- Stir, bring it to a boil and then lower heat to medium so the sauce is simmering, do not boil rapidly ( boiling may split the cream )
- Stir occasionally and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until it thickens. The sauce shouldn’t be super thick, this is a rich sauce
- Check it seasoning, add more salt and pepper according to your taste
- Remove from stove and the mushroom sauce is ready to be served!
Ideas for serving this delicious mushroom sauce
This mushroom sauce recipe can be served with many dishes, here are a few ideas:
- Roast Chicken, Steak, Turkey or Pork with a side a roast potatoes and some steamed vegetables
- As a starter – spread onto toasted fresh crusty bread
- Potatoes – serve it on top of baked potatoes
- Schnitzel with Mushroom Sauce
- Add pasta, even mushroom spaghetti
- Sausage and mash with mushroom sauce ( substitute it for the traditional onion gravy )